How to update your driving licence details
Keeping your driving licence details up to date is very important. If you move house or change your name you will need to make sure you get your licence updated straight away.
You could face a £1,000 fine if you don't keep your licence details up to date
Changing your address
You can change your driving licence address online - just follow the steps on the GOV.UK website.
To update online you will need:
- Your photocard driving licence
- To be a resident of Great Britain
- Previous addresses for the last 3 years
- A valid UK passport or other form of ID
- Your National Insurance number
- To not be disqualified from driving
If you need to change your name at the same time, you’ll have to apply by post.
Changing your name
If you need to change your name because you've just got married or any other reason, you’ll need to complete form D1 Application for a driving licence, available from the DVLA form ordering service or most Post Offices.
You’ll also need to:
- Include original documents confirming your new name - these must show a clear link between the name on your ID document and your new name
- Include your photocard driving licence
- Send this to:
If you want to change your title, for example Miss to Dr, just follow the same process as changing your name.
You won’t need to send evidence for the change unless it’s for a hereditary title.