Get a quote

Learning to drive

Can I take the practical test in my own car?

You can take your practical test in any car you like as long as it doesn't break any of the rules. It could be a parent's car, the car you learned to drive in with your instructor, or the car you'll be driving once you've passed.

However, you must check your insurance company covers your test. You'll also need to take along your driving partner for after the test - you may have passed but you're not insured as a qualified driver.

Is my car suitable for the test?

To be in test condition, your chosen car must:

  • have 4 wheels - no Reliant Robins!
  • be roadworthy and have a current MOT
  • be properly insured for a driving test (ring your insurer) and have a valid tax disc
  • be checked and fixed if you know of any safety faults
  • be able to reach at least 62mph
  • have a speedometer measuring speed in mph
  • have no warning lights showing - for example, the airbag warning light
  • have L-plates (D-plates in Wales) on the front and rear
  • have a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of no more than 3,500 kilograms - check your owner's manual
car check

To be safe for an examiner, your chosen car must:

  • have a seatbelt for the examiner
  • have an interior rear-view mirror for the examiner (you can get these in shops like Halfords)
  • have a proper passenger headrest
  • be a smoke-free environment - no last-minute cigarette before your test!

If your car isn't suitable, you will have to rebook your test.
Get more information on GOV.UK.


Honor joined ingenie in 2014 and is in charge of words on the Young Driver's Guide and blog. Her first car is a Peugeot 206 cabriolet, which is a very sensible choice for the British climate. Follow her on .